There is nothing too good for your senior loved one. We understand…and we agree! From excellent senior care services to professional and qualified caregivers – your senior should have it all. We also believe in making safety a top priority, especially when your senior is aging in the comfort of their own home. There are several effective steps you can take to prevent falls and injuries from happening. Take a look at our top 10 tips below and learn how you can help lower your senior’s fall risks.
- Know Their Risk Factors. Have your senior’s overall health assessed. A doctor can uncover any conditions such as vision impairment, arthritis, or memory loss may increase fall risk.
- Help Them Exercise. Get up and get moving! Encourage your senior to get regular exercise so they can build muscle strength and endurance.
- Check for Issues with Balance. Falls can happen to balance issues. A doctor can perform a balance test and check for any disorders with the vestibular system, which can cause imbalance.
- Get a Home Inspection. Who knew…? You can get a home inspection that specifically checks for fall hazards in the home! Have a professional come out and check your senior’s home.
- Review Their Medications. Certain medications when combined can have severe side effects. Have a doctor review your senior’s medication list to ensure they aren’t experiencing side effects that can lead to a fall.
- Get Their Vision Checked Regularly. Having your senior’s vision tested regularly helps to ensure both their eye health and that they can clearly see their surroundings.
- Give Them Proper Nutrition. The proper nutrients starts with a solid diet. Nutrients are key to increasing muscle and bone strength!
- Use Walking Aids. Walking aids, like canes and walkers, are very helpful when used properly and fitted correctly to your senior.
- Avoid Distracted Walking. Help your senior follow basic guidelines, like not walking while using a smartphone, so they can avoid distractions while on the move.
- Home Care Services. Take extra measures to make sure your senior is safe in their home by adding home care services to their routine.
Need further guidance on how to best keep your senior loved one safe? Home Care Assistance of Carmel and the surrounding cities is here for you 24/7! Call our expert caregivers today and schedule your consultation.